Friday, November 28, 2008

Angkor and food adventures




So we woke up very, very early this morning and got to Angkor Wat in the dark so we could watch the sun rise over the temple. The place is really cool, and in a great state of preservation. Some of the carvings are practically good as new, which is pretty amazing considering the fact that they're actuall 1000 years old. Really beautiful and impressive. We had a guide and a driver (talk about traveling in style...), and they took us to a whole bunch of other temples. My favorite one was this Tomb Raider-y one that was half collapsed and overgrown, although I must confess that having a guide really cut down on my ability to pretend that I was having a fabulous archaeological adventure...
But the big news of the day is for people who knew me as a kid: I can now call myself an adventurous eater. It's been a big day for the girl who ate peanut butter and apple jelly sandwiches for lunch every day of her primary school career. For lunch today, we asked to go to a kind of locals-only place where they don't pretty up the food for westerners, and they brought us to a great little place where each table was on the floor of a little open air platform bungalow. There were three hammocks to swing in, which we thoroughly enjoyed while our driver ordered his favorites for us. We ended up with wild boar, venison, and roast chicken..."where's the adventure in that?" I hear you asking. Well, the chicken came with, get this: ant sauce. Yes indeed. Red ants fermented in a jar underground with a chunk of fish for three months until it forms a gray paste with little ant parts in it. Guess who tried a little. Me! I ate an ant on purpose! It was surprisingly sour, and I didn't really like it so I didn't put any more of the sauce on the chicken, but hey. I had a bite. Then for dinner tonight we went to a Khmer barbecue, where we had snake (really chewy), crocodile (not as delicious as N'awlins alligators), and kangaroo (decidedly not Cambodian, but still exotic). I am so proud of myself right now. And I think my parents are going to tip over from surprise when they read this...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,Kate, wow you are an adventous traveler. I'm glad you are safe and still enjoying your travels. World news means more to a person when someone they knows is over there. Stay healthy. I'll take the turkey over the foods you tried! NFF

The Mobile Ms. T said...

Hi all! It's Katie. This seems to be the only way I can post right now since the shoddy net connection won't let me sign in. I'm getting pretty remote so I'm not sure when I'll be able to post again...But so far all's well and uneventful.

Anonymous said...

Kate,

You tasted the food but did you like it? If not, you haven't changed a bit. Your mother and I made you at least try it.

What kind of snake? You know my feelings about snakes!

Hope you are having a great time!

Dad

The Mobile Ms. T said...

I liked the snake's taste but could have done without so much chewyness. But maybe if we had cooked it differently...Kangaroo is delicious.