Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Update on the current situation

Ok, troops, here's the latest.
The border with Cambodia closes at 5PM today, so by the time I make the 4 hour trip to the border, it'll be closed and I'll have to sleep on the frontier. Not exactly ideal, obviously. So tonight I'll stay in the nice hotel Thai Airways has put me up in, and if by tomorrow morning the airport has not been reopened, I'll make the crossing overland.
Needless to say, the sooner I get out of Bangkok, the better, both in terms of avoiding any unrest and in terms of getting to see friendly faces from home. I have to say, though, I'm kind of relishing being caught up in world events. If I didn't have anyplace to be, I'd really be enjoying this, ironically enough. It's a pretty low-risk insurrection, which is the best kind...
But for now, I'm safe and well, except for the fact that I think my second bout with the rhinovirus is about to start...most inconvenient.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope you are safe and sound. That will make us all very thankful this Thanksgiving. Take Care and Happy Thanksgiving. The Taylor family is coming up to our new lake house for dinner on Friday. We will be thinking of you. Love, Terry and Burt