Well, it appears that neither prime minister nor protesters seems to have any intention of budging on the matter of the airport, so for the time being, there is no hope of my flying out of there any time soon. So I'm left with the unsavory option of the overland crossing through Poipet, which is notorious for scams and hassles (my favorite two parts of traveling...with my cold, I'm sure that some tout or corrupt visa agent is going to get a taste of my evil twin). It's not dangerous at all, but what a pain in the caboose. It'll take 9-12 hours to get overland to Siem Reap, but it's better than staying cooped up in Thailand for who knows how long.
So here's the plan. Bus to the border station, autorickshaw to the actual border with all the luggage I'd planned to leave at the Bangkok airport, deal with the Scam-bodia border scrum, then get a share taxi (or not shared, but I'm not taking any 15 hour un-airconditioned bus in my current state) to Siem Reap. If all goes well, that should put my arrival around dinnertime tonight, just as the guys get back from their temple tour.
I'll be sure to post to let you know I'm safely arrived.
In other news, the Mumbai bombings broke my heart this morning. How very sad. And scary. I traveled through the train station that got hit several times, and one of the hotels is right around the corner from where I stayed...I hate terrorists...
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Kate,
I continue to check up on your adventures;I see a book in the making! Thanks for your frequent updates-I am living vicariously through your travels! Even though you won't be celebrating in the conventional way,Happy Thanksgiving! Have fun and STAY SAFE!!!!!! Cheryl Witham (Thanks for the postcard!)
We're waiting for you here in Siem Reap with fingers crossed. Hope you get here soon!!
Post a Comment