Uggggggh.
I'm so over being treated like a walking wallet. Everybody assumes that everywhere I'm going, I'm going there to spend money on junk I don't need, and they really really really want me to buy it from them. Everywhere I go, including on my bicycle, people follow me. Motorcycles pull up beside me to chat (not looking where they're going, which makes it all the harder for me to negotiate India's no-rules roads on my rickety rented wheels). Kids follow me down the street. Everywhere I go I get "where are you going? what are you looking for? (before I can answer) my friend has a shop." Even when I say "I'm just looking for a nice quiet walk by myself," they don't stop. I literally have to raise my voice and tell them to beat it to get any peace at all, and I hate having to be nasty every 30 seconds. And as soon as I shake one and feel rotten for being so brutal about it, a second later another tout picks me up and it's back to square one. Sometimes I have two or three of them on me at a time. I just want to scream "I'm going to the frikking post office, and they don't pay commission, so back the #!^* off!"
I just want to be anonymous again. It was fun when the people in Manmad were just legitimately curious to talk to their first foreigner. That was totally fine. Exhaustingly wierd, but fun, too. It's the shameless pestering that is fraying my nerves. I'd take 2 hours of curious stares over 5 minutes of touts any day.
And the disingenuousness of it all! So many of the people I pass on the street act like they're just trying to make conversation, but really they're trying to lure me into their shop by acting friendly. They know that by acting as if they're politely making small talk, their target will feel socially required to respond with the usual pleasantries. And of course in spite of the fact that I know exactly what's going on, I can't just be outright rude just in case this is actually just a nice person. So both tout and target waste their time pretending they don't know what's really up, until the tout finally gets around to inviting you into his shop, which is when you finally have a valid excuse to blow him off.
The worst part is that it makes me all the more hostile to the people who truly are just trying to make conversation and be friendly. The touts are ruining the place not just for the tourists, but for the actual nice people here.
Sigh. I've stepped into a net cafe for a little peace, but even the net cafes here sell stuff, so the minute I get offline, I'll have to "no thank you" my way out as the guy puts jewelery and sculptures and souveneer books in my face.
And I hear southeast Asia and China are worse! I want to go home.
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Know just how you feel about India - Dirck and I never felt comfortable during our few days there. However, China won't be the same. They'll want to practise their English with you but there won't be touts pestering you all the time (unless things have changed since I was there). Keep cheerful...Margaret
So sorry you are having to fight your way through India. I remember the gypsy beggars in Paris were the worst for us. Very persistent and mean. They would use kids all the time, which just made you feel awful. We gave this little kid some pocket change once and he looked at us and said (in pretty good English) "That's all?" I know it's hard to focus on the beauty and novelty of the trip, but all the touts will be worth your experiences once you are home. Stay safe and enjoy!
Nikki
I've tried to resist saying this, but you did it again. "Weird" does not following the "i before e except after c rule". It's not wierd.
Post a Comment