Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Monkey in the Zoo




Yesterday was a crazy day. I ended up having to travel second class, which is everything you saw in the movies. The total crowding, the pushing to get on. Insane. But surprisingly good natured overall (once you were on the train, that is, before that it's no holds barred elbowing and shouting - no wonder hundreds of people are trampled to death getting on trains each year!). I don't know if I would have lasted longer than the two hours it took to get to Manmad Junction, but that short time was kind of cool to experience firsthand.



Manmad was nuts. Very small town, and I got there after dusk, but it was really hopping so I ventured out for some dinner and a walk around. I felt very comfortable there, and ventured into a sari shop and bought a sari. Yay! Very pretty. Then I went back to the station, where I spent the next two hours surrounded by curious crowds who wanted photos and autographs and a chance to practice their English. Very strange. Now I know what it's like to be a celebrity.



Gotta go! Have to catch the 3:30 bus to Khajuraho!

No comments: