Wednesday, November 5, 2008

From bummed out to best day ever


First things first:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What a world of difference in my mood from the last post to today. Dan and Sonia are my rescuers. Yesterday I stopped in on my friend Dan of Nirvana days in New Orleans. We worked together for a long time, but we'd lost track of one another over the years. I managed to score his email address from a mutual friend and looked him up here in Mumbai. I took the train out to the suburbs where he and his wife Sonia live in this lovely homey appartment with their sons Slade and Dave. It was just what I needed - familiar faces, happy kids, and a place that feels like a home rather than a flophouse for transients.
Dan picked me up from the station on his motorcycle (sorry, Mom). I'd never been on one before, and it was really scary with the wild Indian no-rules driving going on all around. Good thing I trust Dan implicitly...We got to go visit the little cottages he has set up on a nearby island. What a difference from the hustle and bustle of the city. It's this great little compound with fruit trees and hammocks (and a treehouse!). Then we hit the beach and took a ride (three of us on his bike, sorry again Mom) down the sand with the sea on one side, palms on the other, and the sea breeze in our faces. It may be one of my favorite memories of the trip so far.
Then we got home to the boys, who are as different as night and day. Slade, the elder of the two, is very quiet, while Dave is the type of boy who bounces off the walls. The two of them showed me their drawings and had me doing cartwheels in the living room with them. Such fun! Dan and Sonia are incredibly generous, and when they found out that I had to wait an extra day to get the train I wanted, they insisted that I spend the night and join them for his sister's 40th birthday party, which was really fun, too.
This morning after the boys went to school we hit a Bollywood movie. Their niece Danica was an extra in it, which was really exciting. Then we hustled back to put me on the train so I could come back and collect my luggage from the storage room before it closed, and I'm back in Mumbai until about 11 when my train leaves for Aurangabad and the Ellora caves.
So thank you, Dan and Sonia, for your generosity and hospitality. It was exactly what I needed, and it was so wonderful to see you again!

No comments: