Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kathak dancing...

Um...I am apparently a really bad dancer. Good thing my teacher has a good sense of humor about it. :) It's one of those "good habits in ballet equals bad habit in other dance forms" things. Also the use of joints I didn't realize actually moved that way. My teacher can make his hands undulate like they've got no bones, and I've totally got flippers for hands, so I look like I'm trying one-handed clapping or something when I try to do the same thing (alas, it's one of the most common steps in this form of dance). But he's very patient, and he's young enough that he doesn't take his own classes too seriously, so we laugh about it a lot (although my cluelessness can only be fun for so long. And he's stuck with me 3 hours a day for two more days!).
I got my "Pushkar Passport" today, which is when some guy shakes you down for a "charitable donation" for doing puja at the lakeside. It happens to everybody, and most travel accounts say people will bug you until you do it, so I figured I'd just suck it up and get it over with (you get a little string around your wrist that says you've done it). I also have a red smudge on my forehead that I'll have to get someone to take a picture of.
I also got to wander around the lake. I walked past the place where Gandhi's ashes were scattered, which is pretty special. He was such an amazing and inspiring figure, it's nice to share a part of that, even a small one.
Otherwise an uneventful day. More shopping. More dancing. I may hit the post office. Oh! The dog! I almost forgot! One of my teacher's brothers and his wife have this giant scary German Shepherd. He is easily up to my elbow. Maybe even bigger. Anyway, he isn't used to too many visitors, so he is really territorial. He's fine when his owners are around, but yesterday when they weren't around, I had to walk past him to get from my room to the stairs, and he growled, then jumped up and took a snap at me! Jeeez! So now I'm scared of him. But apparently he responds to commands in Spanish, because I talked to the wife (who is Spanish) about it and it worked earlier today. Growl but I told him to to sit and stay in my now-limited Espanol, so no biting. But I'm still totally scared.

No comments: