Ok, I am now a breath away from 30. Let us never speak of this again, it grosses me out.
But regardless of that, it's been a good day. I got up this morning and went straight to the Taj, which was, of course, incredible. There's a reason it gets the attention it does, and that's because it's spectacular. It almost glows. And I thought it was all white, but it isn't. The marble is inlaid with all kinds of precious and semiprecious stones, and it's unbelievable. The mausoleum of Mumtaz Mahal is exquisitely detailed and so delicate. It's definitely a tribute to Shah Jehan's affection for her. (note: in the picture I'm looking a little drenched from jumping out of the shower and into the Taj, but I wanted to show off the outfit Dan and Sonia gave me - you guys are the best! I love it!)
I also saw the palaces inside the fort, which are pretty spectacular. A lot of it is shut down because of ongoing restoration and excavation, and I'd have given my right arm to get into a few places that were locked up, but what was open was amazing. Theses sultans really had fantastic taste. So much white marble and red sandstone...the marble in particular is perfect for this climate because it's cool even when the heat is raging. There are fountains and green lawns everywhere. Tell you what, I could definitely live like that...provided, of course, that I didn't have to live locked up in the (I kid you not) basement harem all my life. My favorite spot at the forts is definitely the prison tower of Shah Jehan. Apparently his son took the throne from him shortly after the completion of the Taj Mahal and locked him away in this tower until his death some years later. But what a poetic place to be locked up. It's a beautiful open area of white marble, with a wraparound balcony that looks out over the river, and in the distance he could see his wife's tomb, where he would later be buried as well. It's almost like being suspended in the air.
I am hoping that after my big night tonight I can get some photos uploaded. I've realized that I haven't given you guys any pictures since I left Israel. My bad.
Tonight's big: I'm going to try to catch the sunset at the Taj nature trails, then to an actual nice hotel for a fancypants dinner, then a little bit of trinket shopping, then back home to make some phone calls home. All in all a lovely day!
But regardless of that, it's been a good day. I got up this morning and went straight to the Taj, which was, of course, incredible. There's a reason it gets the attention it does, and that's because it's spectacular. It almost glows. And I thought it was all white, but it isn't. The marble is inlaid with all kinds of precious and semiprecious stones, and it's unbelievable. The mausoleum of Mumtaz Mahal is exquisitely detailed and so delicate. It's definitely a tribute to Shah Jehan's affection for her. (note: in the picture I'm looking a little drenched from jumping out of the shower and into the Taj, but I wanted to show off the outfit Dan and Sonia gave me - you guys are the best! I love it!)
I also saw the palaces inside the fort, which are pretty spectacular. A lot of it is shut down because of ongoing restoration and excavation, and I'd have given my right arm to get into a few places that were locked up, but what was open was amazing. Theses sultans really had fantastic taste. So much white marble and red sandstone...the marble in particular is perfect for this climate because it's cool even when the heat is raging. There are fountains and green lawns everywhere. Tell you what, I could definitely live like that...provided, of course, that I didn't have to live locked up in the (I kid you not) basement harem all my life. My favorite spot at the forts is definitely the prison tower of Shah Jehan. Apparently his son took the throne from him shortly after the completion of the Taj Mahal and locked him away in this tower until his death some years later. But what a poetic place to be locked up. It's a beautiful open area of white marble, with a wraparound balcony that looks out over the river, and in the distance he could see his wife's tomb, where he would later be buried as well. It's almost like being suspended in the air.
I am hoping that after my big night tonight I can get some photos uploaded. I've realized that I haven't given you guys any pictures since I left Israel. My bad.
Tonight's big: I'm going to try to catch the sunset at the Taj nature trails, then to an actual nice hotel for a fancypants dinner, then a little bit of trinket shopping, then back home to make some phone calls home. All in all a lovely day!
No comments:
Post a Comment