Monday, September 1, 2008

Safe and sound in Ghana

Hi all!
I know you have all been anxiously awaiting this post, and I'm sorry it hasn't come sooner, but the hostel's internet seemed to be out for a while there. But better late than never. I am arrived, I am safe, all is well.
I was very surprised when I arrived last night how dark it had already gotten at 7PM! It looked like the middle of the night, but I guess that's life on the equator - no long summer days, true, but no long winter nights either, so a decent tradeoff I guess. The ride to the hostel was not very long but I could not see much since they don't do much in the way of street lighting here. I am about to head out into the market to grab some lunch, so I'll see more of what the city looks like when I get out there. A dorm-mate from California tells me to be prepared to be mobbed like a movie star because I'm an obruni (white girl), so I think the first thing I have to do is stop at the first store I see and pick up some sweets to pass out to the little kids.
I have to say, for all my bravado about going it alone, it's taken me several hours to work up the guts to step outside by myself...so best ride the wave of initiative and get going before I chicken out!
Lots of love to all back home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate- You are amazing! Kudos for making the trip in the first place and for arriving safely and avoiding the emergency room pool. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures and start to see some pictures! Have fun and stay safe.
Nikki