Hi again,
I've arrived in Cape Coast, having semi-successfully navigated the public transit system with a little help from my friends the tro-tro (mini-bus) drivers. Everybody has been very indulgent here and people pop out of the woodwork any time I look confused.
I seem to have stumbled upon the new year festivities in town this week, so that's exciting. Cape Coast does a whole week of traditional partying. Tomorrow night there will be drumming and dancing to get a message from the traditional gods about how the harvests will be. Friday and Saturday are going to be crazy too, and the president of Ghana will be speaking on Sunday before I head on to Kokrobite for some beach + lobster.
This morning I caught a glimpse of Khofi Annan's house (I'm sorry Mr. Secretary General, I know I mis-spelled that). I am heading down to Cape Coast Castle now, and will try to hit Elmina Castle this afternoon. Then my gracious host (a former history teacher) will give me all the lowdown on the local history over dinner tonight. Sounds like a party to me.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good to hear from you Katie, and wishing you the best. IIRC, handing out anything to the kids was always a disaster, as they would form a permanent mob around you, wishing for more. That was Senegal 20+ yrs ago anyway. Hope you fared better. Keep writing!
- Larry
Post a Comment