Oh, peoples, I'm too tired to put the happy face on today. I'm becoming an "Ugly American" rapidly as I begin to long for the comforts of home - showers with hot water, streets that don't contain goats and sewage...I am really finding I'm not cut out for the third world thing. I am especially tired of being an object of curiosity. I haven't hung out with another westerner in five days and I'm exhausted.
Of course, it does't help that the historical stuff I came here wanting to see has been a bit of a bust. The sites are a bit over-done. They're such emotionally fraught places as it is, and the tour guides do their best to give you an emotionally manipulative monologue and then point you toward the gift shop and hustle you out before you've had a chance to really absorb anything. So now I'm stuck with the magical misery tour of third world poverty and I am really not handling it well. And I'm here for ten more days! Whine.
So in short, folks, send me comforting emails full of news from back home, because I'm homesick like crazy.
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey - it could be worse. You could be trying to teach your first Kindergarten class with what the other teachers term as the "worse one" we have seen in years! I am exhausted after only 2 1/2 days but they do make me laugh. We have quite a few Filipino's and my one new buddy came running out of the bathroom to tell me that he managed to go to the bathroom without taking his entire uniform pants, belt and all off! Your trip will get better.
You don't want to know that since you left we had a family Lobster-fest and another family camping trip. Now we won't see your Dad until Turkey day since the Track is closed.
Keep smiling:-)
Aunt Kim
Kate,
Bring back the whistle or suck is up and keep going! What happened to beach and lobster?
I told you to go to Spain. You can eat well and see Africa with binoculars!
Dugan and I are having pot roast for dinner on Sunday. Grab a flight and we will share.
Ha. Leave it to Taylors to issue the dope slap I need. Thanks guys!
Post a Comment