Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mission: Accra

So I had to go all the way into Accra today to get cash - an all-day proposition with traffic - because my ATM card, which I'd kind of been counting on being able to use, is a MasterCard, and apparently no bank in Ghana accepts it. Ooops. Thank heavens for traveler's checks. This just doesn't get any easier does it?
On the up side, I managed to eat some popcorn today (pretty harmless on the stomach and full of salt for replacing electrolytes), and my stomach is feeling a bit better. Plus, I heard a rumor that there is one hidden flush toilet at Big Milly's, so life is looking up.
And that's about all I have to say because I have nothing to do in Ghana but wait around for my Kilimanjaro connection to come through. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,

Sorry it has taken me so long to blog, but I still live in the stone ages,it took me some time to figure out how to put a comment in (but we do have flush toilets in my stone age)...your blog makes it sound like you are doing some pretty neat stuff, even if it can be daunting..hope you are having a great time...miss and love you :-)

The Mobile Ms. T said...

I miss and love you too, stone age anonymous...who are you? Mom? :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, see I didn't even get it right, I didn't mean to do it as anonymous,,,and no one better be laughing at me..it's aunt christine, but not sure if you are getting this b/c I can't figure out the password so i have to do it as anonymous again...lol

The Mobile Ms. T said...

ohhhhh! Aunt Chris! Ha ha ha, too funny. That's the funky thing about this whole thing is that if you don't already have an account with them, they don't know who you are and just list you as anonymous.
It's not being from the stone age, it's just not having connections to this particular site.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Evangelist said...

Hello there!

I am happy to have found your blog! I am making preparations to come to Accra and will plan to remain for one year while I establish a small nonprofit organization that will partner with churches in the U.S.! I am very committed to missions in Ghana and I would love to hear about your experiences!

Do you know of any host families that are interested in providing temporary accommodations for Christian ministers?

Since I am a woman who will be living alone, I thought that it would be a good idea to find an arrangement with a host family so that they could help me get acclimated for one to three months before I strike out on my own.

I would love to reach out to you by email and learn more about Accra!!

(smiles)

"Paul"
(yes, a woman whose nickname is Paul!!)

The Mobile Ms. T said...

Hi Evangelist!
Ghana certainly needs all the help it can get - it is a very poor country with very little infrastructure. In the main cities you'll find the work is already done for you - everybody's pretty devoutly Christian. But in the countryside traditional religions remain strong.
Alas, I was only there two weeks and didn't have time to make many connections with host family types, so I can't help you there, but the people are very kind there so I'm sure you'll be able to find somebody to help you get acclimated.