Monday, September 8, 2008

Big Milly's Not-so-lobsterfest



I arrived at Big Milly's without incident, and have found it to be a hippie paradise, which has its ups and downs. I dipped into their book exchange and blazed through John Grisham's King of Torts, just for a little escapism. No lobster, alas, because it's totally western pricing. Plus, I'm really nauseous for some reason. Probably the combination of not eating very well and the malaria pills. I ate a cookie and some water this morning and wanted to hurl, so no more food for a while. But that's kind of good because as far as I can tell the toilets don't flush.
The dormitory is an open-air deal with mattresses on the floor and mosquito nets hanging from the ceiling. One of the other residents there is a Liberian who wants to run for president of Liberia someday. He's led a fascinating life working with Liberian refugees in Ghana, and loves to talk politics, so we had an animated conversation last night and I look forward to many more.
Well, off to figure out what's next on the agenda. The Kilimanjaro tour guy is being cagey (there's no group...oh wait, yes there is, but we don't know when, but send us your money and we'll tell you), so I think I will have to scramble to get someone else.

No comments: