Sunday, December 21, 2008

Note to the fearful




I'm told that the words "oyster sauce" call to mind some kind of salty, fishy, stinky concoction that is very scary to the meat and potatoes crowd. In truth, it is quite sweet and tastes nothing like an oyster. It's one of the ingredients that gives Chinese food a slightly sugary flavor. Almost like the hoisin sauce you dip egg rolls in. Try it, you'll like it.


Today was awesome. We did some trekking through hill villages in the morning - past poinsettas growing wild...as trees! Then got to play with elephants a bit in the afternoon. The ride was a bit of an anticlimax since they put you on a howdah (basically a big saddle-chair). I did not, as I'd hoped, get to drive. But I did get to feed them once we finished the ride. One was quite the greedy old girl and I literally had to wrestle with her trunk to keep any aside for her less-pushy companion.


Tonight I am (probably) having dinner with at least one of the people from cooking class yesterday. With any luck we'll go eat some fried bugs - I found a place that sells them. She seems game for anything, so I may have found my eat-a-bug buddy. Then tomorrow it's back to Big Brother Mouse and My Library!

No comments: