It's amazing how things creep up on you when there isn't a media barrage reminding you every few minutes that the time to buy stuff has arrived...in a few hours it'll be Christmas Eve here and beyond my epic worldwide shopping expedition (which started months ago and was actually fun), I've barely given Christmas a second thought. But now I'm sitting here realizing that in a few hours my family will start getting together for a weekend of enjoying each other's company and I won't be there for it. As much as the Grinch in me loves missing Christmas, this is the one part I'll miss. If this trip has taught me anything, it's how much my family means to me and how much I miss them when I can't just pop in on them whenever I want. So to all my family out there, I love you and I'll miss you over the next couple of days. And to everybody who's secretly thinking how lucky I am to be skipping what many consider to be the most stressful family gathering of the year, just take a minute to be grateful for it, stress and all.
But missing my family doesn't mean I'm going to be moping around over the next two days. I'll be getting in my last couple days of volunteering, trying to make myself useful as much as I can. Other than that, I'll be getting ready to jump on my slow boat to China. Or rather the slow boat to Thailand from which I'll take a bus to Bangkok from which I'll take a plane to China...but I'm gonna stick with "slow boat to China" because it sounds so much cooler. :) I'm very excited to watch the Lao countryside slowly slip by from the deck, and to wrap up in my blanket and read a good book and update my journal with all the reflections that a new year brings on. Lots to process this year, that's for sure! It's been an eventful one.
In other news, I have finally finished uploading my photos! For now, at least. I've given up on uploading video, because it runs at the rate of approximately 1 minute of video per hour of upload. Not worth it. But you can see the rest of them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/30772531@N03/sets/
Each country has a "favorites" set, so I'd recommend that. I don't care how fascinating you find my travels, nobody wants to sift through 2000+ pictures of somebody else's vacation, so that's the way to go. Maybe 20-odd photos per country, which is more than enough.
Enjoy!
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I feel lucky that I've been able to see the pics as you uploaded and have seen most, if not all, of them. :)
tiffany
Yay for flickr membership - that was the best idea ever, Tiffany. Thanks!
It was like a flash of brilliance one day and I am SO GLAD you're getting a lot of use out of it! There's so many virtual tools out there now days. Like Mint.com for moniez stuff, or Google docs for spreadsheets and word docs. I think you can even store stuff on-line now, too. If you need some services like that on your travels like that ask me and I probably know where to go!
the huge internets nerd,
tiffany
Post a Comment