Monday, October 20, 2008

Update: Boring Me

Today was a really boring day. Much needed, but not much to report. But because I know some of you are nervous about me being in the world's most controversial city, I thought I'd assuage your anxiety and write anyway.
I voted this morning. That was good. Rocked up to the consulate and got my absentee ballot, so now I've done my civic duty. Yay civic duty. The consulate was a mob scene, and it looked more like the waiting room for a pediatrician's office than anything else. Everybody had a toddler or an infant or both. Plus a couple of old ladies and me. Very strange.
Then I wandered around and got a way overpriced shwarma for lunch. Good, but not 45 shekels worth of good. Oh well.
Then I got lost in the old city because all the narrow alleys look the same. Not scary lost, because even at the farthest point from my hostel, I'm never more than half a mile away, and the walls stop you before you can wander too far off.
After that I took a nap because I think I'm getting a cold. I knew my health was too good to last...so now I'm loading up on my precious supply of immune-boosters and hoping for the best.
Then I went back to the wall for a while because it's a holiday today (embarrassingly, I am not exactly sure what it is...it's either the end of Sukkot or it's Simchat Torah...today's Ha'aretz has a Simchat Torah supplement, but everybody's saying Sukkot...). Some of the younger guys were partying it up, singing and dancing with Torah scrolls, but we were kind of up to the back, so it was hard to see much. Still cool, but I can't provide much detail.
Found a felafel for dinner, and am now munching on some Turkish delight. And I found (drumroll please) for reals cereal in a market in the neighborhood. Not even corn flakes, which are everywhere, but actual cereal with stuff in it. I know it doesn't sound like much to you, but it's amazing what can make a traveller's day...
So that's that. Cereal and a ballot. And not dead from a politically motivated bombing. Rhinovirus permitting, I'll have something interesting to tell you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

I love you dearly but I can't resist. For those of us not wandering an ancient capital, eating shwarma and falafel, stop whining! Good news and happy thoughts!!!
It was 24 degrees when I was jogging in the dark this morning. Nuf said
Dad