Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cold or no cold...

I've never been one to let a little sickness get in the way of my seeing old stuff, so today I decided it was time to suck it up and get out there. So I started my day with a new box of tissues, some pseudoephedrine, and the Ramparts Walk. You basically get to walk around the walls of the city and see everything from a defending soldier's point of view. Very cool with some panoramic views. You can't go all the way around because of security concerns, so I jumped off at St. Stephen's/Lion's Gate and lit out for the Valley of Jehosephat and the Mount of Olives. It was some serious walking but it kept my nose clear. I got a great view from the top of the Mount of Olives, and got to see the Jewish cemetery, which is huge due to the fact that when the Messiah shows up, those buried there get first dibs on eternal life.
After that, I hit the Garden of Gethsemane and several churches in the area. All of them were very cool and I have plenty to say about them, but the computer gets shut down at midnight so I have to go. But I'm not dead, and there'll be more to report tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Checking on "our team in Israel or wherever" is an after breakfast ritual in our house so hang in there gal and keep the news coming.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I get it that you are not religious, but to have stood at the Mount of the Olives and enter the Garden of Gethsemane, that is cool!
Aunt Christine

The Mobile Ms. T said...

I know - my religious skepticism does kind of permeate these last few posts. But even I can appreciate the emotional significance of the landmarks I'm visiting. It's a powerful place, Jerusalem...pulls the heartstrings around every corner.