Or rather, Harajuku is strange. You jump out of the subway, and you immediately see a crowd of teenaged girls in funky getups. It's like the Hot Topic kids at school, only in a larger group and people come from everywhere to take photos of them. I was expecting something far more outrageous. A couple had some clever outfits (the rabbits with elaborately painted faces and cigarettes, for instance), but mostly it was just standard issue gothness. After Gwen Stefani's numerous references to them, I was expecting...I don't know...something a little more glam. Anyway, next door to the Hot Topic types and their entourage of tourists, you find the Tokyo Rockabilly Club. They've got loud speakers playing vintage rock'n'roll while they do some rather unusual interpretations of American dance (including the Russian "coffee grinder" thing). They've all got the black skintight pants and the leather jackets and the greaser hairdos, and some of them even have saddle-shod girlfriends. And next to those guys are the would-be Harlem Globetrotters. They're just starting to work on their skills, but they're goin' for it...
But that's what I love about public parks in Asia. Everybody can go there and be who they are. Nobody's judging them. Nobody even notices! People having a barbecue dressed as cows? Whatever. A guy teaching his little dog how to ride a tricycle? How cute, can I pet him? Actors rehearsing? Try not to distract them. People working on the next version of STOMP? Watch out for flying chips of broomsticks! Martial artists honing their craft? Join in! Public aerobics class? Grab your sneakers. Nobody thinks anything of it except me...direct from the Land of the Free and the home of the conformist-minded. If any of this kind of thing happened in American parks, people would make sure the participants knew they were weird. But all over Asia, people use public space like an extension of their own living rooms, and everybody just lets everybody else be themselves. I'm a big fan of that. I've got to learn how to do more of that myself.
After that prime people-watching, I walked through the park, which was lovely. It felt like a fall day today, so the weather was nice for strolling until it started getting dark. Saw another nice garden, but it was more focused on azaleas and iris, which aren't really winter plants, so I could tell I was missing the best of the place. Still, it had some great fish and bird watching. I tried to get a shot of these cute little green birds for my grandmother to identify for me, but they're camera shy little things. Couldn't get the shot. But I did get a shot of an equally cute (although not green) little thing. Japan has some really cool birds. I saw a bright blue one the other day, but again, I was too slow to get a picture. I gotta work on that. Gram - I'm tryin' for you!
I couldn't do Harajuku without shopping, so I hit a couple of the vintage shops in search of a coat to replace my totally shoddy current overgarment. I feel like a bum wearing it in classy fashion-conscious Tokyo. I found so many fantastic coats that I'd love to wear around Boston and think "I got this in Tokyo," but alas, my big gangly Anglo arms stuck out several inches from the end of the sleeve. So no fabulous wool coats for me. Alas.
After that I headed back to the hostel. I wandered around a bit, but I couldn't bring myself to go get dinner, even though I'm really hungry. I am sooo over dining out by myself. Especially since I have atrocious chopstick, which makes me feel like everybody's staring at me. But I'm also over freeze-dried ramen. So I headed back to the hostel to get my trusty dinner companions (my book and a Newsweek). Now I just have to decide where to go. One of the tempura places, or the sushi joint where the plates come passing by on a conveyor belt...both are exciting, but would be so much better with someone to go with. I'm looking forward to getting home to my kitchen, where I don't have to choose between having a decent meal and looking like a loser....
Big day planned tomorrow. Up before sunrise to see the fish market and eat the freshest sushi ever. That's something I'm more than happy to eat alone...even at 7AM. Delicious. Then I will get in line early to try to get sumo tickets. If I can get them, I'll be attending the Sumo Grand Tournament for a few hours, watching big naked dudes try to fling each other out of bounds. After that, I'll grab whatever I can for a fast meal, then try to catch the evening kabuki show. It's a long-haul show. After that, I'll probably go to the onsen...if I don't go tonight...
But that's what I love about public parks in Asia. Everybody can go there and be who they are. Nobody's judging them. Nobody even notices! People having a barbecue dressed as cows? Whatever. A guy teaching his little dog how to ride a tricycle? How cute, can I pet him? Actors rehearsing? Try not to distract them. People working on the next version of STOMP? Watch out for flying chips of broomsticks! Martial artists honing their craft? Join in! Public aerobics class? Grab your sneakers. Nobody thinks anything of it except me...direct from the Land of the Free and the home of the conformist-minded. If any of this kind of thing happened in American parks, people would make sure the participants knew they were weird. But all over Asia, people use public space like an extension of their own living rooms, and everybody just lets everybody else be themselves. I'm a big fan of that. I've got to learn how to do more of that myself.
After that prime people-watching, I walked through the park, which was lovely. It felt like a fall day today, so the weather was nice for strolling until it started getting dark. Saw another nice garden, but it was more focused on azaleas and iris, which aren't really winter plants, so I could tell I was missing the best of the place. Still, it had some great fish and bird watching. I tried to get a shot of these cute little green birds for my grandmother to identify for me, but they're camera shy little things. Couldn't get the shot. But I did get a shot of an equally cute (although not green) little thing. Japan has some really cool birds. I saw a bright blue one the other day, but again, I was too slow to get a picture. I gotta work on that. Gram - I'm tryin' for you!
I couldn't do Harajuku without shopping, so I hit a couple of the vintage shops in search of a coat to replace my totally shoddy current overgarment. I feel like a bum wearing it in classy fashion-conscious Tokyo. I found so many fantastic coats that I'd love to wear around Boston and think "I got this in Tokyo," but alas, my big gangly Anglo arms stuck out several inches from the end of the sleeve. So no fabulous wool coats for me. Alas.
After that I headed back to the hostel. I wandered around a bit, but I couldn't bring myself to go get dinner, even though I'm really hungry. I am sooo over dining out by myself. Especially since I have atrocious chopstick, which makes me feel like everybody's staring at me. But I'm also over freeze-dried ramen. So I headed back to the hostel to get my trusty dinner companions (my book and a Newsweek). Now I just have to decide where to go. One of the tempura places, or the sushi joint where the plates come passing by on a conveyor belt...both are exciting, but would be so much better with someone to go with. I'm looking forward to getting home to my kitchen, where I don't have to choose between having a decent meal and looking like a loser....
Big day planned tomorrow. Up before sunrise to see the fish market and eat the freshest sushi ever. That's something I'm more than happy to eat alone...even at 7AM. Delicious. Then I will get in line early to try to get sumo tickets. If I can get them, I'll be attending the Sumo Grand Tournament for a few hours, watching big naked dudes try to fling each other out of bounds. After that, I'll grab whatever I can for a fast meal, then try to catch the evening kabuki show. It's a long-haul show. After that, I'll probably go to the onsen...if I don't go tonight...
3 comments:
Did you get our email suggestions on what to eat? :) Sorry it's alone. My chopsticks are pretty bad, too.
tiffany
I did get them...I don't know what I've tried, exactly, because I can't read the menus. I just point at the pictures and say "that looks good." But I've had some super tasty tempura and udon, that much I do know. And I'll miss the rice triangle snacks they have at Seven-Eleven here. Nom nom nom.
Hmm, how strange. I sent it to your Yahoo account. Okay, here's the list:
You should try these while in Japan. I tried to provide (not formal phonetics) pronunciations so you would sound like you know what you're asking for.
Have fun!!
Udon (Oo-dohn), of course: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udon
http://www.masuya.com.au/images/menu_07/musashi/NabeyakiUdon.jpg
Ramen (Rah-men), of course: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramen
http://www.tastingmenu.com/media/2003/20030909-taishoken/images/10-ramen.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/tastetests/SantaRamen.jpg
http://twobites.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/ramen.jpg (okay, just kidding on that photo)
Katsudon (Ka-tsu-dohn): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsudon
http://usera.imagecave.com/tiare/food/katsudon3.jpg
This is a combination of pork tonkatsu and donburi. A bowl of rice with a soup broth topped with breaded pork cutlet slices, onions, egg, and other miscellaneous stuff.
Donburi (Dohn-bu-ree): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donburi
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2137/2057157150_175ed375e5.jpg
Donburi is whatever they throw on rice.
Okonomiyaki (O-ko-no-mee-yah-kee): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki
http://blog.jagaimo.com/images/ul/okonomiyaki6.jpg
Okonomiyaki is basically a tasty pancake meal. Referred to as the "Japanese Pizza" sometimes.
Taiyaki (Tai-yah-kee): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyaki
http://theanimeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/taiyaki.jpg
Taiyaki is a yummy pancake filled with red bean pastry.
Calpico (cal-pe-co): http://www.calpico.com/ready_to_drink/index.html
http://www.calpico.com/comimg/top00001.jpg
The Japanese love their milk drinks. It's a tasty fermented milk drink -- much more tasty than you'd think and doesn't taste like American milk.
Ramune (Rah-muh-neh): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramune
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/Ramune-Drink.jpg
Really yummy soda. It's like Japanese sprite. To open this sucker you have to use the cap to push a glass marble into the bottle (the glass marble is right at the top). Get some leverage by holding it down to the table because it takes a little getting used to.
Tenkei (ten-keh-e): Japanese pudding marshmallows. I seriously can't get enough of these. http://www.amazon.com/Tenkei-Japanese-Pudding-Marshmallow-Filling/dp/B000BBS4GK
Japanese flan: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/2341632586_6b0565f9c9.jpg?v=1205972785
http://overweightandover50.com/images/food/flan.jpg (isn't that a terrible website? don't judge them, I was just Google image searching)
Smoother than Spanish flan.
Mochi (moh-chee): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochi_(food)
Comes in many ways. However you can get it, get it.
Red bean in glutinous rice: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aRbmd-eqL.jpg
Nom nom nom.
Umeboshi (Oo-meh-boh-shi): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umeboshi
Pickled plum.
Onigiri (Oh-nee-gee-ree): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onigiri
Rice ball with pickled ume (umeboshi) inside.
Japanese pickled things.
Go to a candy store and try everything - seriously. Bring home some for me! ;)
Umeshu (Oo-meh-shu): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umeshu
http://www.choya.com/
Plum wine goodness.
- Tiffany (with a lot of Joe's help)
Post a Comment