Saturday, January 10, 2009

Leaving China

Last day in China. Very low key today. I went shopping for a couple things (mostly tea-related). I stopped at the big flea market in town and agonized over a Peking Opera costume. But as spectacular as it was, I couldn't justify 100 bucks for it. But man, I wanted it. So bad. I can only imagine the stir it would have caused if I rocked into my classroom wearing that the first day we studied China...sigh...alas for missed opportunities. I know I'm going to kick myself in the butt forever for not getting it. Well, someday when I'm rich and famous I'll go back and snag as many of those gaudy things as I want. For now, I love my students, but not at 100 bucks for 1 day a year.

I'm setting up my last few lodgings right now. I can't believe that I have three more cities to see and then I'm home! It's really unbelievable. It's weird. But I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be so strange to go back - everybody else has been living their lives for 5 months, and I'm dropping back in expecting it to be 5 months ago. I'm living in suspended time right now...very strange...

But I've got to concentrate on continuing to live as if this is the first few weeks of the trip instead of the last few weeks. I can't check out on my travels before I've actually left Asia. By this time tomorrow I'll be in Hiroshima, and 24 hours after that I'll be off to Kyoto to go Geisha-spotting and Sumo-watching and onsen-soaking and all those lovely Japanese things. Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you and hear all of your wonderful stories - the ones you didn't have time to post here. :) Do you know when you'll be home? Don't forget to drop by on Rene' when you're in Hawaii! I can get you two in touch for arrangements.

Tiffany

The Mobile Ms. T said...

Alas, no Hawaii for me - I'm coming straight home after Japan. Yay!