Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm in love...







Dee, your friend was right about me falling desperately in love while I'm overseas...but it's not what you think.

I love Japanese gardens.

There, I've said it. They're fantastic. I'm crazy about them. They're truly 4-season retreats. Even in the wintertime they're gorgeous. The ponds and streams, the artfully placed rocks and pines, the mossy carpet that covers the ground...I love it. I could take or leave the Shinto and Buddhist shrines here (although I saw some pretty amazing ones today), but the gardens are fantastic. I think for my last day in Kyoto tomorrow I'm going to just find out which places have the best gardens in town and go there. Perfect.

Fortunately, I don't have to run away to be with my new love as Dee's friend predicted. There's a fantastic one on Martha's Vineyard, and I'm sure there are others nearby....

I've uploaded some pictures for the past couple weeks today, so feel free to look backward to see them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, yes, my friend Liz. She said you were going to fall in love with "Pierre" on your travels and not come back so in addition to finding a sublet for five months, I'd then have to find a permanent roommate. I told her you weren't the type. I'll tell you did fall in love with Japanese gardens. Out of all the countries you've been to, Japan is the one I want to go to most.