Oh my god, guys. I'm staying in Don Khon, an island in southern Laos that's smack in the middle of the Mekong. There is a waterfall a kilometer away. The village surrounding us has all these rice paddies full of water buffalo and happy children at play. And cute puppies come running up to greet you and give you kisses on the road (cutest experience ever). The restaurant attached to our guesthouse is unbelievable, with this unbelievably flavorful Lao food, and we've got a bungalow that's on stilts up over the river that has hammocks on the balcony and faces the sunset. I never want to leave. It's so peaceful and restful. Not a tout in sight, and the people are amazingly friendly and laid back. It's fantastic here. Everybody should come to Laos. Well, not everybody because then it wouldn't be so peaceful and wonderful.
The downside to peaceful and wonderful is that it's a 45 minute walk to get to a net cafe, so you won't be hearing from me that much for a while. Don't panic. All is well. All is very well, I'm just off the grid. As soon as I get someplace with a faster connection I'll post all the amazing photos I've been taking of Lao and Cambodia. I love Southeast Asia, and when the guys leave, I'm seriously contemplating using my 2 weeks of cushion time to find someplace to volunteer in a school here. I'll let you know what I decide, but in the meantime I'm off to enjoy one of the most amazingly unspoiled places I've ever seen.
The downside to peaceful and wonderful is that it's a 45 minute walk to get to a net cafe, so you won't be hearing from me that much for a while. Don't panic. All is well. All is very well, I'm just off the grid. As soon as I get someplace with a faster connection I'll post all the amazing photos I've been taking of Lao and Cambodia. I love Southeast Asia, and when the guys leave, I'm seriously contemplating using my 2 weeks of cushion time to find someplace to volunteer in a school here. I'll let you know what I decide, but in the meantime I'm off to enjoy one of the most amazingly unspoiled places I've ever seen.
1 comment:
It sounds pretty wonderful! We just got back from a week on the east coast (I thought taking a 3 1/2 year old 3000 miles was an adventure...) and we had a perfect time. We missed you Thanksgiving, but got to spend some time with Chris and Lisa before heading to the airport. We returned home just in time to receive your postcards! I don't know who appreciated them more, me or Nolan! Enjoy paradise and we look forward to reading about the rest of your adventures.
Post a Comment