Sunday, October 12, 2008

Change of plans


I arrived in Cairo yesterday at about 4AM, way earlier than I planned. By fortunate coincidence I ran into some people I knew from the felucca trip at the train station and we all split a cab and got a room together. When I woke up a few hours later, I realized I couldn't spend another day just killing time in Cairo waiting for the embassy to open up. I had to get outta there. Alas, I'm finding I'm kind of over Egypt - not the history, but the tourist trap hassles (and more than a few guys who think all Western women like to be jeered/leered at on the street).

Anyway, I caught the next bus to Dahab, which was supposedly a 6 hour trip according to Lonely Planet, but actually took almost 12. I grabbed a room in the first place I found, which was a pit, but this morning I'm planning to transfer to the Penguin, which hopefully contains people I know, and confirmedly looks like the above and has actual pancakes for breakfast (no hard boiled eggs and bread with shady cheese!). Looks like heaven to me...at least for a night before I head for St. Katherine's and Mt. Sinai...

No comments: