Oh, I love the Middle East. Somehow I just feel at home. Maybe it's because I've been to a Middle Eastern country before and know what to expect, maybe it's just a vibe, but I already feel like I've been in Cairo a week and I've only been here a few hours.
I checked into the Hotel Longchamps, which I highly recommend, it's adorable. I then, for the first time in nearly a month, took a walk at night. Oh sweet liberation! Don't freak out, Dad. The hotel is in the embassy neighborhood and is crawling with soldiers and cops, nobody's gonna kidnap me.
I tried to score some shwarma, but with the evening rush for iftar (breaking the all-day no food no water fast for Ramadan), the neighborhood joint had run out and the next batch was gonna be an hour, so it's back to the hotel restaurant to see what I can score. I'm sure it'll be tasty, but it won't be $2 dinner, that's for sure. Man, I had my heart set on shwarma, too. Don't I have huge problems?
Tomorrow I check out of my decadent home here and move into a hostel somewhere, but I have to say I'm feeling really awesome right now. I'm going to the Egyptian Museum in the morning, and I may just stay there all day. I'm in geek heaven!
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment